Published on: 17 Aug 2022
As we prepare to return to a new academic year there are a million things to get ready as a SENDCo- here is a reminder of some of the top prioirities to prepare before our students return to campus - I hope it is helpful!
email@example.com Subject title "SENDCo Guide PDF"
Review your schools policies at least every two years
Inclusion / Admissions / Safeguarding / G&T
· Policies must be maintained with clear, unambiguous language in line with regulatory guidelines.
· Inclusion Policy must name the qualified and licensed teacher assigned to lead the provision for Students of Determination.
· The leader of the provision must be a member of thesenior membership team
· The leader of the provision must hold specialist qualifications related to Students of Determination
· MoUs must be in place and maintained for all iLSAs and external agents.
· Policies must be shared and promoted with all stakeholders and recorded.
· Policies should be available online.
· Strategic Inclusive Education Plan should be in place and up to date.
· Inclusion Flowchart should be implemented and used by every teacher.
Review your school’s Website
· School policies should be available on the website
· Schools Vision Statement and/or objectives should include a commitment to providing inclusive education to Students of Determination.
· The schools policies and procedures for the admission of Students of Determination along with links to legal documents and laws should be prominent
· Messages and images should demonstrate and promote the inclusion of Students
Co-ordinate with the Admissions Team
· Methods and tools for entry assessment should be in place, age appropriate and reflecting student’s stage of development
· Information gathered on admission must be used to plan for the students arrival
· Update KHDA/SPEA/ADEC of any case where admission may not be deemed appropriate to support a student with complex needs beyond the scope of the school along with clearly defined process and evidence.
Set up SEND Monitoring
· SEND progress tracking by SLT with trend analysis and needs appraisal
· Audit of need and planning of provision, including staffing should be up to date
· Alternative, smaller step progress tracked using appropriate methods e.g tracking sheets, IEP monitoring
· SEN monitoring meetings with all class teachers
· Monitoring of interventions by all class teachers
· SENCo works with class teachers to identify training needs related to specific areas of SEND
· Oversight of intervention monitoring by SENCo
· Teacher training in support needs is provided
· Paperwork and invitations to annual review meetings is held by SENCo and updated as necessary
Set up SEND Provision
· Inclusion Register to be up to date and maintained at all times
· All students have their barriers identified
· Emergency procedures and risk assessments in place where necessary
· Whole school provision map updated termly - where applicable
· Class provision maps – ownership of class teacher, overseen by SENCo
· Class provision maps include baseline and outcome projections
· LSAs have police clearance, JD and are monitored termly
· LSAs have access to training
· SENCo attends planning meetings and advises on curriculum mapping and differentiation and modification
· Individual, costed provision maps in place for high need pupils
· Provision maps monitored and overseen by SENCo on regular basis
Prepare IEPs BEFORE term starts
WHAT ARE THE KEY ELEMENTS OF AN AMAZING SCHOOL? Global School Alliance Blog
December 2022 Inclusion & Wellbeing Newsletter
November 2022 Inclusion & Wellbeing Forum Newsletter
Innovations in Inclusive Education to suport the upcoming Inspection Framework
Jan 2022 Inclusion & Wellbeing Newsletter
Feb Inclusion & Wellbeing Newsletter
Mar inclusion & Wellbeing Newsletter
April 2022 Inclusion & Wellbeing Forum Newsletter
May 2022 Inclusion & Wellbeing Forum Newsletter
June 2022 Inclusion & Wellbeing Forum Newsletter
September 2022 Inclusion & Wellbeing Forum Newsletter (1).pdf
October 2022 Inclusion & Wellbeing Forum Newsletter
Blog - A SENDCo's Guide for Back to School
Autism - What's the Deal?
Dyslexia - What's the deal?
Making sense of a return to school after a chaotic couple of years.
Hyposensitivty- What's the Deal?